Monday, January 26, 2015

week 4

So today I am 12 weeks postpartum and yes I am still nursing, I am in no way a dietitian but this plan is what I am choosing to do to help me shed these post baby pounds and gain muscle. For starters, I was very active prior to having my third child and tired to stay active through my 8th month of pregnancy, so if you are just starting out you may need to adjust for your own fitness level and goals.

Supplements: I take many supplements, since seeing an herbalist over 3 years ago I have been a big believer in herbs for natural cures. Here is a list of what I am currently taking:

Blessed Thistle
Nettle leaf
Fenugreek
Selenium
Thyroid Activator
Vitamin D3
OmegaPlex
Magnesium and Sea Calcium
and I am finishing my bottle of prenatal vitamins

More than half of these are to make sure my milk supply does not diminish. Since I am nursing and plan to do so for a while longer, I want to make clear that Levi is my first my priority and if my supply starts to dwindle I will change my diet again to make sure that he is getting the nutrients he needs.

The plan Mike and I are using is based of your current body weight and this is not a calorie counting diet, in fact you will likely feel like you are eating an enormous amount of food but the goal is to gain lean body mass which will in the end lower your body fat. The scale may not move initially, which is what I am struggling with currently, but your body will change. This is about eating clean not counting calories. 

Phase I
Protein: 1.5 grams per pound of body weight
Fats: 0.5 grams per pound
Carbs: 1.5 grams per pound

You will need to adjust this as the weeks go on. So for me it goes in three day increments and I am still feeling like I am eating too many carbs in the morning. Good carbs, like oatmeal (non instant or quick)
Day 1
grams of protein/ grams of carbs
Meal 1- 35/ 60
Meal 2- 35/40
Meals 3-6 35/ 0

Day 2
Meal 1- 35/60
Meal 2- 35/40
Meals 3-6 35/0

Day 3
Meal 1- 35/40
Meal 2- 35/20
Meals 3-6 35/0

What that translates to is 60 grams of carbs is 2 servings of oatmeal, one scoop of protein (depending on brand) and a tablespoon of almond butter ( or natural peanut butter) for meal 1 on the first two days, and then I adjust the serving and have the same thing for my second meal.

Pardon all the phone pics





We eat lean meats like chicken, steak, pork loin, so 35 grams is about 6 oz and 25 grams is about 4 oz of meat and 40 grams of carbs would be a cup of cooked rice. (Yes you should get a good food scale.) The fats are coming from the nut butters and olive oils used when cooking. No butter, no dairy, no sugars. You can have black coffee and I like to drink Amino Energy, which my OBGYN cleared to have during pregnancy, I have two servings in the morning mixed with water. You also should be drinking have your weight in oz of water. So if you are 200lbs you would drink 100 oz. of water ideally a day.

A lot of the issue for most people is planning their meals. This is by far the hardest thing of the diet, making sure you have proper meals 5 to 6 times a day.

Now for today's workout, I did an hour of Les Mills Body Combat which is a 500-600 calorie burn. I then did chest and triceps.
flat bench chest press 12 x 4
flat bench fly 12 x 4
tricep kickback 12 x 4
incline chest press 12 x 4
pushups to failure
tricep pull down 12 x 4
cable cross overs 12 x 4




You should be struggling with your last reps, so if you are not you should increase your weight, this is a high protein diet which will help you build muscle but you have to lift heavier than you think and no lifting heavy wont make us bulky, you would have to eat a lot different to look like a bodybuilder.

SO that is today's workout and I am on day 2 of the 3 day cycle. Mike and I are talking about adjusting my protein since I do also want to lose weight and I will adjust my carbs based on my cardio, since having 3 kids doesn't always allow me the time to do 2 a days at the gym.

I hope this helps some of you and I know for me, it will keep me honest and accountable.





No comments :

Post a Comment